Greenfoot Technical Support
We have a dedicated email address for technical problems. Please note it is only
for problems with the installation or operation of Greenfoot itself, not for help
with programming problems (use our discussions area instead).
Some Simple Steps before you email us
- Do a web search to see if there is a solution available. Also check the known issues list below.
- Make sure that you are using the latest version of Greenfoot and, if you are not running a version of Greenfoot which bundles the JDK, the latest Java version (on Windows you may have to run the "select VM" utility from the Start menu to choose the right JDK version).
What to include in your email
When sending a support request you
- Specify your operating system (Windows? Mac? Linux? something else?) and
- Specify which version of Greenfoot you are using. Do not say "the latest version" - specify the version number!
- Be specific - give as much information about the problem as possible. Include
information about what you do to cause the problem, and the exact
error message (if any) that you get.
- Include the debug log - the file called "greenfoot-debuglog.txt", whose location
should be displayed in the "About Greenfoot" dialog which you can access from
the Greenfoot menu. We need this to try and sort out your
problem! Without it, you'll most likely just get an email back
asking for it.
Always include the debug log. If you cannot see the "About Greenfoot" dialog for some reason, try the following in order:
- Locate the debuglog file:
- For Windows Vista, 7, 8: "C:\Users\your-user-name\greenfoot\greenfoot-debuglog.txt".
- For Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\greenfoot\greenfoot-debuglog.txt.
- For Mac OS, "/Users/your-username/Library/Preferences/org.greenfoot/greenfoot-debuglog.txt" and see [this page].
- Perform a search for "greenfoot-debuglog.txt".
- If you still can't find it, please mention this in your email.
Where to send your email
Send your support requests, with the above information, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current known issues
- 1-Feb-2017 (Windows) NVidia graphics driver version 378.49 appears to have an issue preventing Greenfoot from starting. See discussion here. Try rolling back to the previous version of the driver if this affects you.
- 1-Feb-2017 (Raspberry Pi) Greenfoot 3 requires JavaFX support, which is not available on the Raspberry Pi. Please use Greenfoot 2.4.2a.